Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Jour 99 - Domingo en Madrid

November 27th, Sunday

Last full day in Madrid and I needed to make sure that I enter at least one museum. I chose to go Reina Sofia because I heard Picasso's Guernica is Spain's most famous art work. Reina Sofia is a museum of contemporary art.



The place is pretty confusing since there are a lot of rooms and floors but the art work is pretty! I'm inspired to make some creations when I get back home to Manila :)





I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside the Guernica room. But you know what, the Guernica is really nice. It has this 3D effect that I can't really explain. It also seems like a sketch but in reality it's a painting. 

Here'a picture of it. Picasso is really a different kind of artist. I just wished he still is alive by now so that I could ask him how he's able to draw things like this avant garde. 


The former pope!




After the museum, Kwi and I went to El Rastro. This area becomes a Sunday flea market all the time and it is actually known to be Europe's largest flea market. 

While we were walking, we kept on seeing people eating different kinds of sandwiches, well actually they looked like big tapas. I told Kwi that we should follow them and find out what they were eating. We saw a long line in this place!



We ordered 2 each - jamon serrano, octopus, cheese and jam, and fish and shrimps!

My favorite was the fish sandwich :)

The flea market wasn't as good as I expected it to be. I'm pretty sure my dad would have loved to see it though. There are a lot of shops that sold antiques. 


After our lunch and walking around El Rastro, we went to Plaza Mayor.

The plaza was filled with a Christmas market. Most shops were selling Christmas costumes, hats and masks!

We saw this while walking to go to another place! Oh McIberica, why do you look so good?

This is Puerto de Sol

We passed by Plaza Espana


Next we passed by Palacio Real

We weren't able to enter the palace anymore because it was closing already. Anyway, we met up with Sam and Aira!



The four of us finally went to our last destination for the day - Mercado de San Miguel. Ever since Barcelona, I've been looking for markets that would be comparable to La Bouqueria. Sadly, I haven't seen one. This market we went to is a higher class one. It's enclosed and it felt like we were in an airconditioned area :)

I actually felt a little undressed. The people who would go inside were dressed up! I think this mercado is where the locals have drinks and chit chat with the friends.

Kwi got so aliw that she saw chicharon so she bought! But she didn't get to finish it cause it was a lot :))





I was in the mood for paella (again). :)

Oh and I wanted to try crema catalana. Pretty okay, except the top part cause it was too sweet.

Going back to the hostel, we passed by Plaza Mayor.

..and Puerto del Sol.

OMG. Check this out! It's jesus :))

We saw the Ateneo Hotel and Sam (who's from Ateneo) just had to take a picture in front of it :P
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment