Saturday, September 24, 2011

Jour 31 - La Bouqueria and Sant Pol del Mar

September 20th, Tuesday

Our last full day was dedicated to last minute pasalubong shopping and relax and unwind time at the beach!

We first stopped in La Bouqueria to buy jamon.


We had brunch in El Quim. The concept of the restaurant is similar to Pinotxo.




We ordered two dishes - Butifarra sausage with beans and garlic sauce and


Wild mushrooms sauteed in port wine. Delisioso!!!!!

From here, we took the train to get to Sant Pol del Mar. The name itself is actually a train station. It's located on the coast between Canet del Mar and Calella. Trivia: del mar in Spanish means sea.



We got out the train feeling scared. The place looked deserted!

Luckily, this man over here went up to us and volunteered us around the place! <3 He's Alber Godo. Aside from walking from the train station all the way up to the church, he took us to beautiful spots for him to take our pictures! WHAT A NICE MAN!

This is the church I was talking about - Ermita.

The view from above.

Sunny sunny day!

He was like a father to us!




We even took pictures in this area. Since I am not sporty at all, I had a hard time walking from stone to the next. Mr. Alber extended his hand me!

After all of this, he brought us back near to the train station (side note: once you get down the train station, it's already the beach. It's that small a town!). Kwi went out to explore the beach while I was in the park area writing on my journal while listening to music. Mr. Alber joined me for a few minutes. When he heard the train to Callela, he had to leave already. He bid me farewell the European way - two besos on each cheek. To be honest, meeting him really hit me hard. I teared up when he left. I realized that Kwi and I have been so blessed throughout our trip in Barcelona. So many genuinely nice people went up to us and helped us (without us even asking for help). I have been so blessed, truly I am. You might think I'm being emo but it's really different living alone for 4 months, without any family to depend on. The only resemblance I can get from family are the nice people I meet along the way - the people who helped Kwi and I with directions, the Spanish policemen, the Australian couple in Montserrat, the Canadian couple in the cooking class, Mr. Alber - all of them have touched my heart <3 It's just a sad reality that I don't ever think I'll see them again in my life :( But the times I had together with them will be cherished forever. I guess this is way I also am persistent in blogging everyday of my stay in Europe. Not to be bragging, but I have to savor every moment because I'll never get to be an exchange student and travel around Europe without having to think about work and other grown-up responsibilities. I really thank my dad (I hope he reads this) for allowing me to experience this all! :3

Another person who made our stay in Barcelona fantastic is Pepo the receptionist. He's a part time receptionist in the hostel we stayed at (Lullaby) and get the night shift from 6pm-midnight, oh and he's a travel journalist. I swear he's such a character. He's from Argentina but he's been in Spain for about 3 months already. Nights when Kwi and I have to research on our itineraries are so fun because we could hear his voice on the side (the PCs of the hostel are just beside the reception area). He's most funny especially when we hear him say "unbeliiiiiievable" and "Why you laughing? I'm the facking clown here!" 

What I admire about Pepo is that he's very knowledgeable on geography and things about different countries. He was intrigued by how Filipinos have this American mentality in the country (that Filipinos speak English and not in their native tongue -- exhibit A: moi! It's only in Europe that I speak A LOT of Filipino. Weird I know!) 


We just had to take photos with him! Writing this entry makes me really miss Barcelona, the people and the food :( :( :(

In a few years again, I shall mentally write that in my head that I NEED to go back. If only, I can do it PRONTO!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment