Saturday, September 24, 2011

Jour 30 - Montjuic, XM, and Paella Cooking Class

September 19th, Monday


We were thinking of either going to Tibidabo or Montjuic. But as we were comparing things to do, we saw that there was more things to do in Montjuic. Another advantage was that it's nearer from our place (Catalunya)! There's a train stop for Montjuic so don't worry on how to get there! :)


Check out the clouds! Pretttty :)



Once you get to the Montjuic area, you will have to look for the bus stop for Montjuic. Traveler's tip: to save money, it's better to take bus#193 and go to the very last stop which is Castell Montjuic (the castle!). From here, you can walk to the other places to go. Since the castle is all the way up, walking downhill won't be such a problem.




It was such a good day because we didn't see a lot of tourists swarm the castle.

We were shocked though that a car suddenly went inside a castle! Haha

This is the Double Cross found in the castle. Do you how it changes from the cross to the star of David? :)





These three signs were sort of disturbing. We were a bit confused on which side to enter. Haha




Going around the castle was really beautiful - it was so serene :D :D


To lessen our expenses, we agreed to only spend on good meal per day. We usually bring our baon and eat in a park. Perfect day to have a picnic in a castle, I tell you!


Oh we were walking around and we saw that even Jose Rizal has his own sala here!





From the mountain, we decided to walk. Very scenic route we took. We saw the funiculars!

We even passed by this place!


Excuse me for my artistic side but I had to take pictures of these - the tree 

..and the fallen leaves.

We also came across this funny sign!

Before leaving Montjuic, we made a quick detour and entered this garden/park.

This sign is made especially for kids. How cute!


Our next goal was to go to El Born but we first got to the area of El Pobre Sec. Saw this poor car, it lost the circle around the Benz's logo.


We saw the Bomberos' house!


In order to get to El Born, we had to take the metro to Jaume I. Oh but I just had to take a picture of this bakery! HAHAHAHA


We got off the train and I realized that I got darker :( I forgot to put sunblock so my wrist has a tan line of my watch :(

This is the salon I was teasing Kwi to go inside. Look, it's a karinderia side line on the side! Haha

We wanted to look at the nice markets at El Born but yes, we got there during siesta period so mostly all the shops were closed! We decided to just go inside Museu de la Xocolat.



The entrance fee to the museum itself costs about 3EUR (that's our churros breakfast already). So we decided to just eat in their cafe! >:)

We ordered melindros and xocolat.

And sacher cake. Really good merienda. I suggest you guys do the same thing - eat in the cafe of any chocolate museum. Hihi


We were checking the map out and we saw Arc de Triomf. We were curious if there's any resemblance to the one in Paris.


Well I haven't seen the Arc in Paris, so who am I to judge? Haha. But the arc really looks beautiful :)

That night, we were all set to learn how to make paella with the Travel Bar promo.

We went back to Travel Bar to meet all the travelers. This time around, we were a lot - roughly around 20 people.

Our teacher, Fernando, is Argentinian. He took us first to La Bouqueria to buy the ingredients and to teach us things we need to know about the market and the food being sold. I was happy when we started explaining about meats (jamon serrano, iberico, etc).


I know this picture will gross you out but I just want to educate you - on the right, if you don't know what it is that's the penis of the cow! And in the middle those are the balls. I know what you're thinking. The Spanish people are gross for selling that. But I guess this is just for decoration? I don't know! Hahaha


Aside from paella, we had tapas (just like what we had the other day).

At the beginning of the class, I wasn't really enjoying because there were instant clicks among the big group. But I suddenly started to make good conversation with that man you see in the picture. I don't remember his name but he made kwento so much about things to do in Paris! He and his wife are actually travelers. They don't have children so they have been traveling all over the world. He's Canadian and he would tell so many amazing stories about traveling and meeting so many people from different lives and cultures. 

While we were eating tapas and drinking sangria, Fernando started to teach us how to make a Spanish paella. The authentic way of cooking it is through the 3-ring stove. 

The steps are actually quite easy. Here's one of the final steps - rice is placed in the middle of the pan so that concentration of the heat goes to the rice. 

One thing I can say about the Spanish paella is that it's wet compared to what I'm used to eating back home. I don't know but I like how Filipinos cook paella more. 

I wasn't able to finish this huge plate of paella cause I didn't like the way it was cooked! Haha oh well.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment