Sunday, October 16, 2011

Jour 56 - Mustard Explosion in Dijon!

October 15th, Saturday

Today, I was so psyched about mustard shopping in Dijon! Our train ride to get to Dijon was pretty long - we had to wake up at 4:30 in the morning just so we could get to the station before 6. Anyway, we got to Dijon by 11:30 already. Here was the last train we rode.

Funny kwento about the train. Since we've been up since 4 in the morning, we kept on sleeping in the train! Good thing I woke up to find out that there we were already in Dijon! Hahahaha. If not, I bet we were be in another place!


As you can see, there is this a huge construction going on until 2012. Apparently, this is for the metro system around Dijon. Too bad there isn't a metro system yet!

We were really lucky that the weather was sunny! It was weird though. It was sunny but the wind was strong so I was still freezing! This is their rue de la Liberte (Freedom Street). The funny thing about France is that all their streets in all cities are the same. Yes, you heard me. The street I live in Lille (rue Auber), there's a street named the same in Paris! It must be hard for the post office to figure out which city in France to deliver mail if there's no zipcode :|

I was so excited to visit the mustard museum but for some weird reason, it was close :( :( As a consolation, our first stop was to go mustard shopping! <3 

Maille is one of the premier mustard companies in Dijon. They actually have another boutique found in Paris :) When I entered the store, I was literally in mustard heaven! So many different kinds of mustard!!!!!!! They had savory ones and fruity ones (okay, I find the fruity ones weird). After looking at all the different kinds of mustard, I finally bought two kinds: one is horse raddish (YEYYYYYY, wasabi flavor! You might find it weird but I super love anything and everything wasabi) and the mustard with truffles :) :) I was a happy little mustard kid when I got out of the store :D 

It was a surprise to not see a lot of people around the city center. Usually on a Saturday, there should be a lot of people strolling around and shopping. 

Check out these fat birds bathing in the fountain. I think they're fat because of all the mustard they get to eat!! Hahahaha


Such a pretty place to roam around :)

I'm not really sure what the symbol of Dijon is but I saw a lot of this on the roads! Cute ey? :) Ville de Dijon or City of Dijon in English.

We had lunch here. I found out that this store serves typical burgundian food, something I was so curious to try. FYI: Dijon is the historical capital of Burgundy.

When we got inside, I was amazed at the setting of the place! <3 it looked so quaint and cozy inside!


The theme was so old school which I absolutely adore :D


For our appetizer, we had escargot. I forgot to take note of the name of the dish but this is by far one of the best appetizers I've had so far! The snails were cooked in some broth and it had croutons and mushrooms! <3 Divine!

I chose to get a traditional burgundian dish called Cuisse de Poulet (Pattes noires) facon Gaston Gerard. It's chicken cooked in something (I couldn't really tell what the sauce was made of but it was cheesy, buttery, and mustardy all at the same time). It had a side dish of vegetables and mashed potatoes :) One of the best dishes I've tried so far!!!!! :D

Kwi ordered Tartare de Beouf coupe de couteau. Tartare is actually raw meat! She made me try her dish and it tasted like sashimi. Another awesome dish!!!!!

For dessert, we got Tiramisu Dyonnais. Instead of the typical coffee layer in tiramisu, a traditional way of making tiramisu in Dijon is adding rasberry. This dessert is really good toooo! Our lunch was a gastronomical explosion!!!!! <3

Kwi ordered hot chocolate on the side because she saw a kid drinking it across our table :)

When we got our bill, the waiter even handed us a bag of mashmallows with it <3 I absolutely love the service of this restaurant - the waiters were so accommodating and friendly! And our food got to our table pretty fast!!!!

More of the designs of the restaurant :)




A happy satisfied girl with 2 more bags of marshmallows! I guess the store loved us so much that they were happy to give us more marshmallows <3

Next, we decided to go to find Parc de la Colombiere. We didnt' expect it to be a long walk...

I think we were walking for an hour! These were the things we saw while we were walking:



After xxx minutes of walking, we finally made it! Even though we were SOOOO full from our gastronomical lunch, we were game to eat churros. Here's Kwi with our petit size of churros. 

This parc is a 30-hectare land consisting of various parts.

One area, you could see the Temple d'Amour (the temple of love).

I was looking closely at the "artwork". And here's what I saw! Haha lovers! They're everywhere!


The other part of the park, they had a little farm! So strange! The animals they had here were weird looking! 

So we first saw donkeys.

Then ugly goats


Oh but this is the only cute one animal I saw - pretty deers!

They had llamas!


Rams with weird horns!

I don't know what animal this was but it was so furry! I call it a furry chicken!

I super liked the Ville de Dijon. I think I can imagine myself staying a bit longer here BUT I think I'll get fat cause the food is just so good! :P
xx





No comments:

Post a Comment