Saturday, September 24, 2011

Jour 35 - Sunny Saturday

September 24th, Saturday

Today, Kwi and I decided to just walk around Gambetta again and explore this street which we didn't really pay attention to a month ago. It's pretty neat how there's so many shops in this street! I super love it :) So many boulangeries and patisseries to try! And of course cheese storesssss! <3


We passed by Picard! It's this supermarket just full of frozen things. You name it - quick fix food, sliced ingredients, herbs, seafood, ice cream, etc. It was frozen food heaven! And in fairness, some of the things sold are very very reasonable. If I didn't have a roommate, I think I'd be buying in this shop often to look for great finds. It's the convenience factor that makes it really appealing to the people.

After Gambetta, we hit the pink part of the city (when I say pink these are where the famous shops are - e.g. H&M, Pull and Bear, Stratovarius, etc.). That place is evil!!!!! It made me look at the pretty clothes and ugh I'm dying since I want so many things but living in Europe is just so expensive :(

After shopping, we went to Euralille to try to look for digestive cookies (side note: we bought a pack each during our week long adventure in Spain and it's really addicting!!!!). Sadly, we couldn't find any :( Anyway, I was happy to find Wasa! :)

It was a sunny day today so as you can see, so many people were out! I guess this is their way of sunbathing! Haha

We were too happy with our buys that we forgot our main point of going out - to go to Lille Flandres and reserve train tickets! Haha so we had to walk all the way back to reserve some train tickets.



Since we're going to Tita Juliet's tomorrow for lunch, we decided to bake Clafoutis au Pomme for her. :)

Oh and we made one for us too! Hihi. I swear this cake is truly addictive. We added more the usual eggs and we found out that it made our cake cakey-er. We'll try to fix the recipe again so that we could get the soft, slightly chewy consistency.

Remember yesterday I mentioned about Lidl? Well, we were able to find a slice of cheese on sale! This is Tomme de Montagne - it's from Pyrenees, France and the rind is beer-washed so it has a nutty, mushroomy and creamy taste to it. It's quite good and different (cause I've never tried such a combination). This cheese is usually produced from the skim milk left over after the cream has been removed to produce butter and richer cheeses, or when there is too little milk to produce a full cheese. As a result, they are generally low in fat.



For our late lunch/early dinner, we made Quiche Lorraine - we were able to find a frozen one in Lidl only for 1EUR and what we did was to put emmental, tomme de montagne and salami on top. It turned out to be really good! <3 Imagine, by splitting this gigantic quiche, Kwi and I only spent about 0.50 cents each! That's definitely a good bargain!! :D
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment